- Conversation with U.S. Solicitor General Donald B. Verrilli, Jr.
- 10:30 am - 11:30 am
- RWU Law Appellate Courtroom 283
- Champions for Justice Dinner and Public Interest Auction
- 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Providence Biltmore Hotel
- Master the Basics of Spinal Radiology
- 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Sheraton Providence Airport Hotel
- Behind Closed Doors
- 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Appellate Courtroom - Room 283
- Washington, DC Law Alumni Reception
- 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Marriott Washington at Metro Center, 775 12th Street NW, Washington, DC
Resources and Links
- Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General: Environmental Protection Division
- Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management
- Rhode Island Bays, Rivers & Watersheds Coordination Team
- Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation
- Rhode Island Office of the Attorney General: Environmental Advocacy Unit
- Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources (quasi-state)
- Rhode Island Rivers Council
- Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
- Department of the Navy - Energy, Environmental and Climate Change
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association
-National Estuarine Research Reserve System
-National Marine Sanctuaries
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association Legislative Atlas
- National Park Service
-National Park Service website referring to coastal/ocean stewardship
- New England District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service
- U.S. Department of Energy - Office of Environmental Management
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- U.S. Department of Justice - Environment and Natural Resources Division
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - National Estuary Program
- U.S Fish & Wildlife Service
- U.S. Forest Service
- Buzzard’s Bay Coalition
- Coastal & Estuarine Research Federation
- Conservation Law Foundation
- Environmental Law and Policy Center is the Midwest's leading public interest environmental advocacy organization working to achieve cleaner energy resources and implement sustainable energy strategies, promote innovative and efficient transportation and land use approaches that produce cleaner air and more jobs, and develop sound environmental management practices that conserve natural resources and improve the quality of life in our communities.
- Narragansett Bay Commission
- Ocean Conservancy
- RI Clean Water Action
- Save The Bay
- The Nature Conservancy
For an extensive listing of all agencies (state, federal, international, etc.), see URI’s Department of Marine Affairs.
- American Bar Association - Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- American Littoral Society
- Boston Bar Association - Environmental Law Section
- Environmental Business Council of New England
- Environmental Law Institute
- National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the scientific basis for environmental decision-making.
- National Marine Educators Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Society of Environmental Professionals
- Society for Environmental Journalists
- The Coastal Society
- Boston College Law School Environmental Law Society
- RI Green Drinks are informal gatherings of environmentally-active people from advocacy-oriented and educational nonprofits, academia, green businesses, and government, from all over Rhode Island
- The Ocean Project is an international network of aquariums, zoos, museums, and conservation organizations working to create an understanding among their visitors and members of the significance of the ocean and the role each person plays in conserving our blue planet for the future.
Research: Law School Journals
- Boston College Law School Environmental Affairs Law Review
- Duke Environmental Law & Policy Forum
- Lewis & Clark Law School Environmental Law
- New York University Environmental Law Journal
- Pace Law School Law Library Environmental Resources
- Villanova University School of Law Environmental Law Journal
- Databases and software pertaining to environmental data, facts, and statistics
- Statutes and regulations on environmental law (environmental law/news sites)
- Environmental Law Net
- Environmental News Network
- Environment News Service
- Findlaw (laws with an environmental focus)
- GreenBiz Daily Green Business Newsletter
- National Service Center for Environmental Publications
- NOAA Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management (OCRM) ) (climate change webpage)
- The Grist (environmental news and commentary)
- The Guardian Unlimited
Marine Renewable Energy Projects
- NGR Bluewater Wind is one of the nation's leading developers of offshore wind energy projects, and a tireless advocate of wind as a clean, safe, and stable-priced means to meet our energy needs.
- Deepwater Wind
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- Bureau of Ocean Energy, Management, Regulation and Enforcement (formerly Minerals Management Service)
- Verdant Power is a renewable energy company that seeks to generate mechanical and electrical power in a cost-effective manner, causing minimal or no ecological impact, and with consideration for social equity.
News and Research
- Admiralty Blog
- Admiralty & Maritime Law Guide, over 1,500 annotated links to admiralty law resources
- Bowditch - American Practical Navigator
- Colregs - U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center
- Cornell Law US Code
- Exxon Valdez information source
- gCaptain, news, forums, and nautical tools (e.g., navigational calculators and weather charts)
- Glossary for Lines of a Ship (structural)
- Journal of Commerce
- Journal of Ocean Technology, a publication of the Industry Development Division of CCMC, a Canadian not-for-profit corporation, is endorsed by Memorial University of Newfoundland and the National Research Council of Canada.
- Marine Exchange of Alaska, a non-profit organization established to serve the Alaska Maritime Community by providing information, communications and services to ensure safe, secure, efficient and environmentally responsible maritime operations.
- Marine Log Magazine
- Marine Technology Reporter
- Maritime Global Net
- Maritime Reporter and MarineNews
- Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 (past - September 2007)
- NOAA Nautical Charts
- OceanTech Expo
- Parts of a Sailing Ship
- Professional Mariner Magazine
- Sea Technology (magazine) has been the ocean/marine industry's consistently recognized authority for ocean design, engineering and application of equipment and services in the global ocean community.
- Shipping Glossary
- Shipyard Dictionary
- US Coast Guard Glossary
- US Coast Guard Vessel Response Plan Program (under OPA 90)
- Western River Slang
Universities and Law Schools
- Boston University Marine Program
- Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law, Marine and Environmental Law Programme
- International Maritime Law Institute of the IMO is an international center for training in maritime law whose mission is to promote education, training and research to enhance the peaceful uses of ocean space and its resources.
- Louisiana State University, Sea Grant Legal Program
- Roger Williams University School of Law, Marine Affairs Institute and the Rhode Island Sea Grant Legal Program
- Swansea University School of Law (UK), Institute of International Shipping and Trade Law
- Tulane University School of Law, Admiralty and Maritime Law Program
- University of Antwerp, Institute of Transport and Maritime Management
- University of Cape Town, Marine & Shipping Program
- University of Hamburg, Institute of Maritime Law and the Law of the Sea
- University of Houston, Judge John R. Brown Admiralty and Maritime Collection
- University of London, The London Shipping Law Centre
- University of Maine School of Law, Center for Oceans and Coastal Law
- University of Nice, Center for Study and Research in the Law of Maritime Activities
- University of Oregon School of Law, Ocean and Coastal Law Center
- University of Oslo, Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law
- University of Queensland, Marine and Shipping Law Unit
- University of Rhode Island, Department of Marine Affairs
- University of Rijeka, Institute of Maritime and Transportation Law
- University of Southampton, Institute of Maritime Law
- University of Stockholm, Institute of Maritime and Transportation Law
- University of Texas School of Law, Judge John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition
- University of Virginia School of Law, Center for Oceans Law & Policy
- Utrecht University, Netherlands Institute for the Law of the Sea
Maritime (United States)
- California Maritime Academy
- Great Lakes Maritime Academy
- Maine Maritime Academy
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- Seattle Maritime Academy
- State University of New York Maritime College
- Texas A&M at Galveston
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point
- U.S. Naval Academy
- Webb Institute
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
- Åland Polytechnic
- Australian Maritime College
- Canadian Coast Guard College
- Dalian Maritime University
- French Naval Academy
- Gdynia Maritime University
- Glasgow College of Nautical Studies
- Greenwich Maritime Institute
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Shipping and Transport Logistics Department
- International Maritime Academy
- Japan Coast Guard Academy
- Kalmar Maritime Academy
- Kobe University of Mercantile Marine
- Korea Maritime University
- Latvian Maritime Academy
- National Technical University of Athens - Department of Naval Architecture and Marine
- Norwegian Shipping Academy
- Shanghai Maritime University
- Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
- Training Ship Chanakya, New Bombay
- Warsash Maritime Centre (Southampton Institute)
- World Maritime University -International Maritime Lecturers Association
- See also Maritime Schools (Nugent's List) - a more exhaustive listing of links to maritime colleges worldwide.
Marine Transportation Services
- Boston Harbor Island Alliance
- Boston Towing (Boston Tug)
- Marine and Oceanographic Technology Network
- Massachusetts Seaport Advisory Council
- Molchan Marine Sciences, a multi-disciplinary small business enterprise supporting the development and execution of projects in Ship, Port and Offshore Energy Security, Marine Transportation Safety, Diving and Underwater Operations as well as Marine Education.
- SeaAway family of companies (maritime security)
- U.S. Coast Guard - Marine Safety & Environmental Protection (in process of being updated)
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
- U.S. Coast Guard Proceedings in marine safety, waterways management & environmental protection.
- American Association of Port Authorities
- American Waterways Operators
- Association of Canadian Port Authorities
- Hong Kong Maritime Law Association
- International Maritime Organization
- Maritime Law Association of US
- Passenger Vessel Association
- Propeller Club of the US
- U.S. Department of Transportation - Maritime Administration
- U.S. Federal Maritime Commission is an independent regulatory agency responsible for the regulation of oceanborne transportation in the foreign commerce of the U.S. The principal statutes or statutory provisions administered by the Commission are: the Shipping Act of 1984, the Foreign Shipping Practices Act of 1988, section 19 of the Merchant Marine Act, 1920, and Public Law 89-777.
- World Shipping Council, leading maritime industry trade association
- Betancourt, Van Hemmen, Greco & Kenyon
- Holland and Knight
- Martindale Hubble, an on-line database of attorneys and areas of practice.
- Verrill Dana LLP
- The Law Offices of Countryman & McDaniel, cargo law firm site includes many references to maritime accidents, marine cargo insurance and related matters.
- See also the Maritime Law Association of the United States
(These blogs are not maintained or endorsed by RWU School of Law)
- CleanTech Blog - Commentary on technologies, news and issues relating to next generation energy and the environment.
- The Conscious Earth - Earth-centered news for the health of air, water, habitat and the fight against global warming.
- Environmental Action Blog - Current environmental issues and green energy news.
- The Future is Green - Thoughts on the coming of a society that is in balance with nature.
- The Green Skeptic - Devoted to challenging assumptions about how we live on the earth and protect our environment.
- Haute Nature - Ecologically based creative ideas, art & green products for your children, home and lifestyle, blending style with sustainability.
- The Lazy Environmentalist - Sustainable living made easy.
- Lights Out America - A grassroots community group organizing nationwide energy savings events.
- Rachel Carson Centennial Book Club - Considering the legacy of Rachel Carson's literary and scientific contributions with a different book each month.
- Sustainablog - News, information and personal meanderings related to environmental and and economic sustainability, green and sustainable business, and environmental politics.
- These Come From Trees - An experiment in environmentalist, viral marketing, and user interface design with the goal of reducing consumer waste paper.