For the Class of 2017 the average entering age was 25. Students ages ranged from 20 to 65.
Women's Law Society
The purpose of the Women's Law Society is to reinforce and expand the representation of women at both Roger Williams University School of Law and in the legal profession through scholarship, events, and networking opportunities.
The WLS strives to improve the experiences of women during law school and through to the legal profession. The society's goals are to form a supportive community which believes in the right of equality of women and men in scholastics, the legal profession, and beyond.
The WLS events include:
- Women in Robes
- An annual dinner saluting the achievement of women judges and justices in the Rhode Island Judiciary.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- During the month of October the RWUSOL Women's Law Society participates in this breast cancer awareness walk in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Dress for Success Fundraiser
- During the Spring term we hold a fundraiser for this Providence area charity which provides women of need with appropriate business attire for job interviews.
- Spring Roundtables
- Also during the spring we sponser roundtables with various local women attorneys so students may ask questions about the legal profession including, how to raise a family, whether public or corporate law is a better fit, and how litigation works in the real world. The WLS works closely with the Rhode Island Women's Bar Association for these roundtables as well as other events.
- We seek guidance through Ms. JD, a national organization with the same goals and mission as our own.
- We raised around $2,000 for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and over $500 for Dress for Success during the 2008-2009 school year.
- The WLS has began a mentorship program with the Rhode Island Women's Bar Association which resulted in many individual mentor/mentee relationships.
- Ms. JD awarded summer public interest scholarships during the Summer of 2009 and one of our own RWUSOL Women's Law Society members received this honor.