Search the Law Library's holdings for books, periodicals, online resources, and all other library resources.

Quick Search


Advanced Search

RWU Tube

Commencement 2012

Fast Facts

RWU Law has 27 active student groups, including Maritime Law Society, Association for Public Interest Law and Multicultural Law Students Association, which allow students to get involved in a variety of extracurricular activities and hear from speakers on a multitude of topics.

First Impressions

Newport Sailing

Borrow and Renew


With their own valid School of Law ID card, law school students may check out library materials under the following circulation policies:

  • Two Hour Reserve - These materials, which include items on course reserve, hornbooks and nutshells, are checked out from the Circulation Desk.
  • Forty-Eight Hour Reserve - When the Library owns three or more copies of a hornbook or nutshell, copies three and above are allowed to circulate for a forty-eight hour period.
  • Four Week Circulation - Most single volume monographs from the classified collection are allowed to circulate for four weeks.
  • Audiovisual Room and Study Room Keys - Room keys circulate for three hours and may be renewed subject to the Room Reservation Policy.

Law alumni borrowers should refer to the RWU Law Alumni Services page for information about their borrowing privileges and responsibilities.


Most items not requested by another patron may be renewed once. Patrons may renew material via the telephone when full-time staff are available. To renew via the telephone, call the Circulation Desk at 254-4546. Overdue materials may not be renewed.


Fines accrue on overdue Reserve materials, including keys, at the rate of $.50 per hour for each hour or portion of an hour that the Library is open. Fines accrue on general circulation materials at the rate of $.50 per day for each day.

Patrons may use the "View Your Patron Record" option in the WebCatalog to review a list of the materials currently checked out. The list also displays the due dates and times for all items currently checked out.

Materials not returned after two notices are declared lost. The patron will be charged the price of the item, a $5.00 processing fee, and the accrued amount of the fine.

Frequently Asked Questions about Borrowing Materials

Can I borrow materials from the University Library?

  • Yes. Go to the University Library and present your student ID. You should be in their online system. If not, they will enter you into their system.

What if an item seems to be "missing" from the stacks?

  • Ask a member of the Law Library staff to join the search. We may be able to identify additional places to look.
  • If it is at the bindery, we can determine when it should be back and arrange to have it available as quickly as possible.

What if I need an item that is not available at either the Law Library or the University Library?

  • Item(s) can be requested through Interlibrary Loan. The request form and additional information is available on this site under Interlibrary Loan.