International Student Requirements

The Office of International Student & Scholar Services collaborates with the Law School to support international law students. This office will help you with immigration paperwork, and assist with your transition to your new community. Please visit the linked pages to review important information for international law students.

Most international law students will need an F-1 visa to study in the United States. In order to receive an F-1 visa to study at Roger Williams University School of Law, you will first need to be accepted to the law school and make the required deposit to reserve your place in the upcoming class. Once you have been accepted and made your deposit, we will begin working with you on the required steps to receive your Form I-20. The Form I-20 is needed to make a visa appointment with the local US Consulate or Embassy.

Law Student F-1 Visa and I-20 Process

Click to Open

To receive the Form I-20 you must submit the following documents via email and attached PDF's to

  1. An I-20 Request Form
  2. A clear, color scan/PDF of the identity page of your passport
  3. International Student Financial Statement
  4. A color scan/PDF of a recent bank statement in English to show proof of funding that covers one full year of all tuition, fees, and living expenses

For students who are currently studying in the United States on an active F-1 visa, you will also need to submit the three following documents:

  1. A color scan/PDF of your current F-1 visa
  2. A color scan/PDF of your current Form I-20 (Pages 1 and 2)
  3. Completed F-1 Transfer Verification Form. Please note your current Designated School Official (DSO) must fill out the bottom portion.

Once we receive all of the required documents, we will be able to produce the Form I-20. The Form I-20 is needed for an international student to request an appointment with the local US Embassy or Consulate for their F-1 visa interview. All students are responsible for the required SEVIS fee required prior to the interview. For more information, please see our page on the visa application process.

Additional Information on Applying for the F & J Visa

For important information about immigration requirements and support services for international students, please visit the International Student Services page, or contact Cassidy Hammond, Assistant Director, International Student and Scholar Initiatives, at (401) 254-3400 or

International Student & Scholar Services

Immigration & International Student Essentials

New Student Support


Close Course Type Descriptions

Course Types

We have classified RWU Law classes under the following headers. One of the following course types will be attached to each course which will allow students to narrow down their search while looking for classes.

Core Course

Students in the first and second year are required to take classes covering the following aspects of the law—contracts, torts, property, criminal law, civil procedure, and constitutional law, evidence, and professional responsibility.  Along with these aspects, the core curriculum will develop legal reasoning skills.


After finishing the core curriculum the remaining coursework toward the degree is completed through upper level elective courses.  Students can choose courses that peak their interests or courses that go along with the track they are following.


Seminars are classes where teachers and small groups of students focus on a specific topic and the students complete a substantial research paper.


Inhouse Clinics and Clinical Externships legal education is law school training in which students participate in client representation under the supervision of a practicing attorney or law professor.  RWU Law's Clinical Programs offer unique and effective learning opportunities and the opportunity for practical experience while still in law school.