RWU Law Alumni Services
The library is pleased to offer graduates of the Roger Williams University School of Law a variety of resources and services. Alumni visitors may use the extensive law library collection of Rhode Island, federal, and New England state materials.
Alumni Borrower Card
To request an Alumni Borrower Card either:
- Complete the web Alumni Borrower Application form and submit it with a copy (pdf/jpg/png) of your valid drivers’ license or state issued ID containing your full name and address.
- Download & complete the PDF application form and either submit it to a full-time Library circulation staff member or Reference Librarian with your valid drivers’ license or state issued ID containing your full name and address OR email the form and a copy of your valid driver’s license or state issued ID containing your full name and address to email@example.com.
Applications are normally processed Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm by full-time library staff who will issue your borrower card. Materials may be borrowed immediately upon receipt of the borrower's card. The card must be presented to the Circulation staff at the time of borrowing.
Borrowing & Renewing Library Materials
Most single volume stack materials may be borrowed as follows:
- The borrowing period is 14 days.
- Two renewals, subject to recall, are possible.
- The maximum number of items which may be borrowed is 3 per patron.
Reserve materials may be borrowed as follows:
- The borrowing period for all materials is 2 hours.
- Materials circulate for in-library use only.
Audiovisual and Group Study Room Keys may be borrowed as follows:
- The borrowing period is 3 hours and may be renewed subject to availability.
- Availability of room keys is subject to restrictions based on current student needs. For example, room keys may not be borrowed during exam periods.
- Due to limitations imposed by the authentication method used for the room reservation system, alumni need to contact full-time library staff for assistance to reserve a room.
Patrons may renew material via the telephone when full-time staff are available or renew material online anytime.
To renew via the telephone, call the Circulation Desk at 401-254-4546 during the normal business day.
To renew online, patrons may use the "My Library > My Account" option in the WebCatalog. They can review a list of the materials currently checked out, see the due dates and times for all items, and select items to be renewed.
Overdue materials may not be renewed.
- Overdue notices are sent the first business day an item is overdue. Materials not returned after two notices are billed and a billing notice is sent. Bills are issued for the estimated replacement cost of the item plus a billing fee in the amount of $25.00.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended while a bill/billing fee is outstanding. Periodic reminder notices will be sent for unpaid bills/billing fees.
Computing and Digital Resources
Most library research databases and the Internet may be accessed from the computer workstations on the hexagons in the central part of the library. Databases which are not available due to licensing restrictions include: Lexis, Westlaw, and BloombergLaw The hexagon computers also provide access to Microsoft Office applications in addition to the library’s digital resources.
HeinOnline Law Journal Library
The HeinOnline Law Journal Library is available to RWU Law Alumni through the University Bridges site. To obtain access to the Law Journal Library on Bridges, complete the RWU Law Alumni HeinOnline Access Request form. Requests are normally processed Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm by full-time library staff. Please watch for an invitation to join the Bridges Law Alumni Access to Digital Resources site.
HeinOnline’s Law Journal Library contains more than 2,000 law and law-related periodicals, consisting of more than 27 million pages of articles, comments, notes, and book reviews. Unlike other databases, the Law Journal Library is comprehensive, beginning with the first issue ever published, bridging the gap in legal history. The Law Journal Library also provides case law linking powered by Fastcase, giving the ability to link directly to the full text of case law from cited material or via citation lookup.
The librarians are available to provide reference assistance to RWU Law Alumni in person, by phone at 401-254-4547, or via the Ask a Librarian service (chat or email).
Extended Borrowing Privileges
Upon a demonstration of need, arrangements may be made for extended borrowing of circulating materials. Requests for extended borrowing privileges should be directed to the Associate Law Librarian, Lucinda Harrison-Cox at 401-254-4533 or firstname.lastname@example.org.