Borrow and Renew
With their own valid School of Law ID card, law school students may check out library materials under the following circulation policies:
- Two Hour Reserve - These materials, which include items on course reserve, hornbooks and nutshells, are checked out from the Circulation Desk.
- Forty-Eight Hour Reserve - When the Library owns three or more copies of a hornbook or nutshell, copies three and above are allowed to circulate for a forty-eight hour period.
- Four Week Circulation - Most single volume monographs from the classified collection are allowed to circulate for four weeks.
- Audiovisual Room and Study Room Keys - Room keys circulate for three hours and may be renewed subject to the Room Reservation Policy.
Law alumni borrowers should refer to the RWU Law Alumni Services page for information about their borrowing privileges and responsibilities.
Patrons may renew material via the telephone when full-time staff are available or renew material online anytime.
To renew via the telephone, call the Circulation Desk at 254-4546 during the normal business day.
To renew online, patrons may use the "My Library > My Account" option in the WebCatalog. They can review a list of the materials currently checked out, see the due dates and times for all items, and select items to be renewed.
Overdue materials may not be renewed.
- Overdue notices are sent the first business day an item is overdue. Materials not returned after two notices are billed and a billing notice is sent. Bills are issued for the estimated replacement cost of the item plus a billing fee in the amount of $25.00.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended while a bill/billing fee is outstanding. Periodic reminder notices will be sent for unpaid bills/billing fees.
Patron Record Access
All patrons have the ability to view their Patron record from the WebCatalog. Either:
- Select the My Library Account link under Task Links on the Library home page, or
- From any search results screen, click on Login at the bottom of the page. The library software will prompt you to provide your name, library barcode, and PIN.
After logging in, click on your name at the top of the screen to check on due dates, renew items which are not overdue, or change your PIN.
- The library barcode is on the back of your School of Law ID and will start with the number "25166...".
- Your PIN is six alpha/numeric characters selected by you.
You should see a Login screen like the one below:
If you do not have a PIN and need to establish one for the first time, enter the following on the Login screen:
- Your name in the Name field.
- Your barcode in the Bar Code field (from the back of your RWU Law ID (starts with 25166….).
- Any character in the PIN field (any number or letter).
- Click on the Submit button or press ENTER.
The system will recognize if you do not already have a PIN and take you to the page on which you can create a PIN:
If you already have a PIN, you will receive the message “Sorry, the information you submitted was invalid. Please try again.”
If you already have a PIN and do not remember it:
- Click on the Forgot Your PIN? link (see below).
- You will receive an email with a link to reset your PIN.
- The email will go to your RWU email address.
- Use the link supplied to reset your PIN.
If you still have problems, please contact the law library to verify that your patron record is up-to-date.
Frequently Asked Questions about Borrowing Materials
Can I borrow materials from the University Library?
- Yes. Go to the University Library and present your student ID. You should be in their online system. If not, they will enter you into their system.
What if an item seems to be "missing" from the stacks?
- Ask a member of the Law Library staff to join the search. We may be able to identify additional places to look.
- If it is at the bindery, we can determine when it should be back and arrange to have it available as quickly as possible.
What if I need an item that is not available at either the Law Library or the University Library?
- Item(s) can be requested through Interlibrary Loan. The request form and additional information is available on this site under Interlibrary Loan.